The Home of Steven Barnes
Author, Teacher, Screenwriter


Monday, April 07, 2014

Back to the "Secret Formula"

Goal X Faith X Constant Action X Gratitude = Success


The above is the “Secret Formula” I extracted from “The Science of Getting Rich” by Wallace D. Wattles.  It is so powerful, and so far-reaching in implication, that I wanted to come back to it yet again.  I honestly believe that, IF YOU BALANCE YOUR GOALS (body, mind, emotions)   it is the simplest expression of a whole-life success philosophy I’ve ever seen, and comes perilously close to “magic.”  (especially in the Arthur C. Clarke “any sufficiently advance technology is indistinguishable from magic” sense.)


Let’s start by looking at the implications of this being a multiplicative as opposed to additive equation.   What do YOU think the difference is..?


THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU LOOK AT THE ANSWER.


All right.   The difference is that if you “zero out” in any one of the four categories, the entire thing becomes a “zero.”   That’s it.  Enormous implication.


No goals?  Zero.
No faith you can and should do it?  Zero.
Not taking ferocious daily action?  Zero.
Not finding a way to be happy NOW, as you go?   Zero.


But if you
1)  have clear measurable goals,
2) believe your efforts will bring more pleasure than pain
3) Aim at constant useful action and improvement of skills
4)  Develop a sense of joy in Being Here Now…


You cannot lose.   No one promises me tomorrow.  I could get hit by a meteor, or some thin wall in a blood vessel might go “pop.”  We’re all handed a post-dated death certificate at birth.   But if I know what I want, believe in possibility and the rightness of action, am constantly growing toward this worthy goal, and am whistling as I work…


I not only maximize my chances of reaching my goals, but am having a hell of a good time along the way.  I get to wake up every morning rarin’ to go, and go to bed every night giving thanks for another day doing the things I love with the people I love.


Life is good, even if I die before I wake.  Even if external circumstances thwart my dreams.   Even if I’ve misjudged my capacities.  Who cares?  I’ve had a hell of a ride.


And you know what?   When you take responsibilty for your own fate, in a perverse way the universe seems to finally decide to cooperate with you, and “luck” begins to occur.  It really is strange.  


We’ll talk more about this very soon…


Namaste
Steve

No comments: